Social Media Detox....

Hi everyone!✋

Many of you heard about all the social media habits we have and the constant scroll black hole. We waste about 2 hours a day scrolling through FacebookInstagram, and other platforms. I'm totally guilty of just checking out of my reality and diving deep into a world of beautiful scenes, perfect #motd, #ootd, lavish birthday parties, and jet-set lifestyles I dream about. But my blurred vision of a life I try to obtain is only causing insecurities and many other anxieties. I have felt so inadequate lately, not sure if it's the holiday coming up or if it's me getting older and seeing many of my peers have different types of successes. 

Social media gives us the most gorgeous edited highlight reel to others' lives, we never see the negative sides of their lives, or the bank accounts, etc. It all looks good but there is so much more going on. I just don't feel like seeing another makeup tutorial, or a perfect proposal with a 5-carat diamond ring on a private island off the coast of Brazil. I needed a break and needed it like 3 years ago!! So, of course, I just went right in COLD TURKEY. I was good for the first 24 hours, thinking okay this isn't so bad... I got this! Then the morning came and I went to grab my phone to open my IG to see if I got any likes on this quote I posted a few days ago (or let's be real I needed to see if the selfie I put up where I used a soft face glow filter to get rid of my wrinkles) got new likes!! ahhhh why am I like this!??

The colorful IG app was gone off my home screen, I searched for the blue Facebook app but then realized okay... so I don't have to check on anything or anyone and just start my day. No scrolling through memes, food, quotes, drunk nights out, picnics in Italy, or selfie duck lips. It got easier and easier until I got an email from IG saying I had two new followers. Then I got curious and logged in quick for 3 min. just to view them. I deleted the email and got back to my day. I was soooo much more productive at work, I read half a book and found myself just leaving my phone in my purse. I checked it for messages and calls on my breaks and lunch but that's it! I feel a little isolated but for the most part, feel I have much more clarity and focus. I don't know how long this will last. I know it won't be forever but for now, it's just what I need. I don't feel like I need to be perfect, and put together. I don't feel like I might look stupid alone at a table eating my lunch without scrolling but just being there in the present moment reading a book. Feeling content in a world where everyone is trying to prove their worth to an app and followers. Cheers & Happy Thanksgiving early! I hope you all try a digital detox. It's super challenging and feels amazing.


Fun fact time!! (woot woot)

  1. Almost one-third of those surveyed stated they often exaggerate their statuses and posts on social media, including their relationships
  2. 68% state they have used their social networks to check up on ex-partners
  3. 75% state they believe that social media can ruin or at least harm relationships.


Time spent on social media in a lifetime. Assuming the average human lifespan of 72 years and we assume that many people now start using social media as young as 10 years old, that means the average person will spend a total of 3,462,390 minutes using social media over their whole lifetime.



Vid-yooo





Comments

Popular Posts